Being born in 1991 allowed me to grow up with the best of the 90s and memories to last a lifetime. From bright-colored scrunchies (that were styled in the hair, as well as on the wrist), to pop rocks and Fun-Dip, followed by Saturdays filled with “Cat-dog” and “All That” marathons – Nothing beats the Nineties!
The first touch for a 90s themed party would be the outfit one chooses to wear. Growing up, I remember styling overalls, high white socks, and Keds to top it all off. Perms and Barrett’s were the absolute must for us girls, and for boys it was frosted tips or hair gelled so perfectly that it didn’t move the entire school day. However, you can take this theme a little further and dress up as your favorite TV show and movie characters. From “Recess”, “Hey Arnold!”, “Rugrats” and “Saved by the Bell” to “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective”, “The Mask” or your favorite Disney movie – the options are endless!
The next touch that will be a complete sell out are some of the games you can provide at the party. Of course, it is hard to re-create the exact ways we played these games due to technology being in an entirely different universe these days. However, there are many gaming stores that still sell the classic 90s games such as Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man, Mario Cart, NFL Blitz, ATV Off-Road Fury, and the original Mortal Kombat. These games have been refurbished to be played on modern gaming systems, and are promised to create all the excitement at your party.
Lastly, the must-have finishing touches:
- A fun guest book –> Pages of black scrapbooking paper inside and guests sign with Milky gel roller pens.
- Splatter paint photo booth –> As simple as white construction paper as the backdrop and going crazy with neon paint colors in a splatter form. After dried, makes for the perfect background for your guests to stand in front of and hold up funny props!
- Dunkaroo funfetti dip –> Ingredients: 1 box of funfetti cake mix, 2 cups of fat-free plain yogurt, and 1 cup of lite Cool Whip. Mix the ingredients together in bowl and chill for about 4 hours, then enjoy the dip your mom never let you have with animal crackers 😉
- Put your favorite 90s candies in clear vases on decorative table –> Fun-Dip, Pop rocks, Push pops, Bubble Yum, Hubba Bubba, Bottle pops, Lemon heads, War heads, etc.
- Pop Rocks Adult Beverages –> does it get ANY better?? Several recipes may be found here!